Objective Questions | Biotechnology Engineering Quiz1 >>Which of the following terms is used to describe the component isolated from a plant, for in vitro culturing in the specific medium? ?
- (A) Synthetic seeds
- (B) Embryoid
- (C) Callus
- (D) Explant
2 >>Nucleic acid segment tagged with a radioactive molecule is called ?
- (A) plasmid
- (B) probe
- (C) clone
- (D) vector
3 >>Which one of the following hydrolyses internal phosphodiester bonds in a polynucleotide chain? ?
- (A) Exonuclease
- (B) Protease
- (C) Lipase
- (D) Endonuclease
4 >>The enzyme employed for amplification of DNA during PCR is commercially obtained from ?
- (A) Trichoderma reesei
- (B) Bacillus licheniformis
- (C) Streptococcus pyogenes
- (D) Thermus aquaticus
5 >>A regulatory body working under MoEF for the release of transgenic crops is ?
- (A) NBPGR
- (B) GEAC
- (C) NSC
- (D) NSC
6 >>Cry1 endotoxins obtained from Bacillus Thuringiensis are effective against: ?
- (A) Flies
- (B) Mosquitoes
- (C) Boll worms
- (D) Nematodes
7 >>In genetic engineering, a DNA segment (gene) of interest, is transferred to the host cell through a vector. Consider the following four agents (A-D) in this regard and select the correct option about which one or more of these can be used as a vector/vectors Statements (A) A bacterium (B) Plasmid (C) Plasmodium (D) Bacteriophage ?
- (A) (A), (B) and (D) only
- (B) (A) only
- (C) (A) and (C) only
- (D) (B) and (D) only
8 >>Read the following four statements (A-D) about certain mistakes in two of them (A) The first transgenic buffalo Rosie produced milk which was human alpha-lactalbumin enriched (B) Restriction enzymes are used in isolation of DNA from other macro-molecules (C) Downstream processing is one of the steps of R-DNA technology (D) Disarmed pathogen vectors are also used in transfer of R-DNA into the host . Which are the two statements having mistakes? ?
- (A) Statements (A) and (C)
- (B) Statements (A) and (B)
- (C) Statements (B) and (C)
- (D) Statements (C) and (D)
9 >>Cry II Ab and Cry I Ab produce toxins that control ?
- (A) Tobacco budworms and nematodes respectively
- (B) Corn borer and cotton bollworms respectively
- (C) Cotton bollworms and corn borer respectively
- (D) Nematodes and tobacco budworms respectively
10 >>Bacillus thuringiensis forms protein crystals which contain insecticidal protein.�This protein ?
- (A) Binds with epithelial cells of midgut of the insect pest ultimately killing it
- (B) Does not kill the carrier bacterium which is itself resistant to this toxin
- (C) Is activated by acid pH of the foregut of the insect pest
- (D) Is coded by several genes including the gene cry
11 >>What is true about Bt toxin? ?
- (A) Bt protein exists as active toxin in the Bacillus
- (B) The inactive protoxin gets converted into active form in the insect gut
- (C) The concerned Bacillus has antitoxins
- (D) The activated toxin enters the ovaries of the pest to sterilise it and thus prevent its multiplication
12 >>Assertion :In plant tissue culture, somatic embryos can be induced from any plant cell.-Reason :-Any viable plant cell can differentiate in to somatic embryos. ?
- (A) Both Assertion and Reason are true and the Reason is the correct explanation of the Assertion
- (B) Both Assertion and Reason are true but the Reason is not the correct explanation of the Assertion
- (C) Assertion is true statement but Reason is false.
- (D) Both Assertion and Reason are false statements
13 >>Which one of the following is a correct statement? ?
- (A) The anticoagulant hirudin is being produced from transgenic Brassica napus seeds
- (B) Somatic hybridization involves fusion of two complete plant cells carrying desired genes
- (C) “Bt” in “Bt-cotton” indicates that it is a genetically modified organism produced through biotechnology
- (D) “Flavr Savr” variety of tomato has enhanced the production of ethylene which improves its taste
14 >>Bacillus thuringiensis is used to control ?
- (A) Nematodes
- (B) Fungal pathogens
- (C) Bacterial pathogens
- (D) Insect pests
15 >>The genetically-modified (GM) brinjal in India has been developed for ?
- (A) Enhancing shelf life
- (B) Insect-resistance
- (C) Drought-resistance
- (D) Enhancing mineral content
16 >>The protein products of the following Bt toxin genes cry IA c and cry II Ab are responsible for controlling ?
- (A) Bollworm
- (B) Roundworm
- (C) Moth
- (D) Fruit fly
17 >>Variable number of tandem repeats (VNTRs) in the DNA molecule are highly useful in ?
- (A) Monoclonal antibody production
- (B) DNA fingerprinting
- (C) Recombinant DNA technology
- (D) Stemcell culture
18 >>Silencing of mRNA has been used in producing transgenic plants resistant to ?
- (A) Bollworms
- (B) Bacterial blights
- (C) White rusts
- (D) Nematodes
19 >>Restriction endonucleases are most widely used in recombinant DNA technology. They are obtained from ?
- (A) Bacteriophages
- (B) Bacterial cells
- (C) Plasmids
- (D) All prokaryotic cells
20 >>PCR proceeds in three distinct steps governed by temperature, they are in order of ?
- (A) Annealing, Synthesis, Denaturation
- (B) Synthesis, Annealing, Denaturation
- (C) Denaturation, Annealing, Synthesis
- (D) Denaturation, Synthesis, Annealing