Objective Questions | Clinical Nursing Skills Practice Quiz
1 >>Appropriate application of a sling to the upper arm includes ?
- (A) Positioning so that hand is higher than elbow.
- (B) Positioning so that hand is lower than elbow.
- (C) Teaching client to avoid any shoulder joint motion.
- (D) Teaching client to avoid any movement of distal digits
2 >>Teaching client to avoid any movement of distal digits. 2. Wet plaster casts are best dried by ?
- (A) Using a hair dryer.
- (B) Covering with blankets.
- (C) Using a heat lamp.
- (D) Natural evaporation.
3 >>A synthetic cast, compared with a plaster cast Select all that apply. ?
- (A) Is more expensive.
- (B) Dries more quickly.
- (C) Is nonabsorbent.
- (D) all the above
4 >>The following are early indications of acute compartment syndrome in a casted extremity Select all that apply. ?
- (A) Pain with passive extension of distal digits.
- (B) Pain worsens with extremity elevation.
- (C) Pain unrelieved by analgesics.
- (D) all the above
5 >>Injury to the peroneal nerve can result in permanent ?
- (A) Urinary incontinence.
- (B) Inability to plantarflex the foot.
- (C) Inability to dorsiflex the foot.
- (D) Anesthesia on sole of the foot.
6 >>The client with posterolateral approach total hip replacement surgery should be kept in this position postoperatively ?
- (A) Legs adducted.
- (B) Legs abducted.
- (C) Operative leg in external rotation.
- (D) Operative leg in internal rotation.
Clinical Nursing Skills Practice Quiz
7 >>Adaptive aids for the client with total hip replacement primarily help the client avoid ?
- (A) Hip flexion.
- (B) Falls.
- (C) Hip extension.
- (D) Pain.
8 >>Studies show that clients receiving CPM (continuous passive motion) versus those who do not receive CPM after total knee replacement surgery have ?
- (A) Better joint range of motion.
- (B) Less venous thrombosis.
- (C) Less edema.
- (D) None of the above.
9 >>Phantom pain in the amputated extremity is most apt to occur in clients with ?
- (A) Drug dependency.
- (B) Inadequate stump shrinkage/shaping.
- (C) Traumatic limb amputation.
- (D) Limb pain preoperatively.
10 >>The client with above-the-knee amputation should be encouraged to perform exercises that promote stump ?
- (A) Adduction and hip flexion.
- (B) Abduction and hip flexion.
- (C) Adduction and hip extension.
- (D) Abduction and hip extension.
11 >>In-line filters are not recommended for which one of the following IV infusions? ?
- (A) Ringer’s Lactate.
- (B) TPN.
- (C) PCA.
- (D) Blood platelets.
12 >>The nurse begins to assess the client’s arms to determine the most appropriate site for the venipuncture. Which of the following principles should be kept in mind when determining this site? ?
- (A) The veins that are deeper in the forearm should be assessed first.
- (B) The antecubital fossa is a primary site.
- (C) The most appropriate site is below an infiltrated area to save the vein.
- (D) The distal end of the vein should be selected first.
13 >>Nursing actions that are completed when preparing for a venipuncture include Select all that apply. ?
- (A) Lightly tap the vein to distend it.
- (B) Instruct the client to open and close fist to distend vein.
- (C) Apply cool cloth to arm for 10 minutes before attempting venipuncture.
- (D) A and B
14 >>It is recommended that the skin prep used before attempting the venipuncture is ?
- (A) Alcohol swab.
- (B) Betadine swab.
- (C) Iodine swab.
- (D) Chlorhexidine glucontate swab.
15 >>You are preparing to change IV tubing as required during your shift. You recall that ?
- (A) Primary and secondary tubing is changed every 24 hr.
- (B) Primary intermittent tubing is changed every 96 hr.
- (C) TPN and lipids are changed with each bottle.
- (D) Blood or blood products tubing is changed every 4 hr or 2 units.
16 >>As you review the steps of inserting an over-the-needle catheter, you recall that the steps include the following ?
- (A) Check catheter with the bevel in a”downward” positionto examine the integrity of the end of the catheter.
- (B) Place the bevel of the needle in the”up” position and insert the catheter at the 45� angle into the skin.
- (C) Insert the needle into the anterior surface of the vein.
- (D) After hearing the”pop” sound in the vein, remove the plastic catheter hub.
Clinical Nursing Skills Practice Quiz
17 >>The client’s IV order is: Administer 2500 mL of normal saline in 24 hr. The administration set delivers 10 gtt/mL. The IV will deliver ____ mL/hr ?
- (A) 10
- (B) 15
- (C) 60
- (D) 104
18 >>You walk into the room of a client whose Smart Pump is sounding a”hard” alarm. Your initial action is to ?
- (A) Reset the pump after checking for possible air in tubing.
- (B) Reset the rate of the medication infusion on the pump.
- (C) Notify the client’s nurse.
- (D) Reprogram the pump after scanning your badge into the system.
19 >>The client has an isotonic IV solution ordered for the next 24 hr. The faculty asks you to explain the rationalefor this solution. Your answer is that it ?
- (A) Hydrates the cells, causing them to expand.
- (B) Corrects dehydration.
- (C) Is used as a nutrient source.
- (D) Is used to expand intravascular volume.
20 >>One of your clients has a medication ordered to be infused through the primary tubing injection port. Which of the following safety issues must be considered when administering IV drugs through this method? ?
- (A) Administer the medication over 20 seconds.
- (B) Flush the primary infusion tubing before and after administering any drug.
- (C) After injecting a small amount of drug, unpinch primary tubing and flush medication.
- (D) Administer IV drugs using only a dextrose solution to ensure drug compatibility