Objective Questions | Hematology Practice Quiz
1 >>All of the following are associated with increased Red Cell ADA (Adenosine Deaminase) level, except: ?
- (A) DBA
- (B) SCID
- (C) AIDS
- (D) Some cases of hereditary non-spherocytic hemolytic Anemia
2 >>All of the following red cell enzyme deficiencies are inherited as autosomal recessive, except: ?
- (A) G6PD deficiency
- (B) PK deficiency
- (C) TPI deficiency
- (D) Glucose phosphate isomerase deficiency
3 >>Which of the following is normal form of G6PD? ?
- (A) G6PD B
- (B) G6PD Ac.
- (C) G6PD A+
- (D) G6PD mediterranea
4 >>Which of the following is true about G6PD? ?
- (A) Drug induced hemolysis begins after 7 days
- (B) Heinz bodies are seen in RBCs
- (C) In the A-form of G6PD hemolytic anemia is self-limited
- (D) Common (Polymorphic) form have no clinical manifestations
5 >>All of the following is true about red cell enzyme defects, except: ?
- (A) Basophilic stippling in Red cell is characteristic of pyrimidine’s nucleotidase deficiency
- (B) Jaundice of glucose phosphate isomerase deficiency respond to phenobarbital
- (C) Patient’s with glucose phosphate isomerase deficiency respond more to splenectomy
- (D) Phosphoglycerate kinase is autosomal recessive
6 >>Which one of the following is a feature of chronic extravascular hemolysis? ?
- (A) Raised serum conjugated bilirubin
- (B) Low reticulocyte count
- (C) Hypocellular bone marrow
- (D) Gall stones
Hematology Practice Quiz
7 >>Which of the following is not a cause of intravascular hemolysis? ?
- (A) Rh incompatibility
- (B) ABO incompatibility
- (C) G6PD deficiency
- (D) Red cell fragmentation syndrome
8 >>A 10 years old child presented with severe hemolytic anemia after febrile illness. There is marked reticulocytosis and LDH of 10,000 IU/ ml. Characteristically, his total Bilirubin is 0.3 with direct fraction of 0.2 mg/dL. The most like diagnosis is: ?
- (A) Heme oxygenase deficiency
- (B) Ferrochelatase deficiency
- (C) Biliverdin reductase
- (D) ALA dehydratase
9 >>Which of the following is not a feature of intravascular hemolysis? ?
- (A) Jaundice
- (B) Hemosiderin in urine
- (C) Absent haptoglobin
- (D) Hemoglobin in urine
10 >>Which of the following is not true about G6PD deficiency? ?
- (A) Commonly presents as chronic hemolytic anemia
- (B) Leads to intravascular hemolysis after certain infections
- (C) Protects against malaria
- (D) Carrier females have approximately 50% G6PD levels
11 >>Extravascular hemolysis is best characterized by all except: ?
- (A) Increased LDH
- (B) Splenomegaly
- (C) Jaundice
- (D) Increased plasma hemoglobin
12 >>Which of the following is not true about hemolytic anemia? ?
- (A) The degree of spherocytosis does not correlates with the severity of hemolysis
- (B) Alloimmune hemolytic anemia is characterized by positive ICT and DCT may be mildly positive or negative
- (C) In AIHA most common target is Rh antigen
- (D) Therapy should not be stopped until the DCT because negative
13 >>All of the following are associated with cold type autoantibody, except: ?
- (A) Mycoplasma pneumonia
- (B) Donath-Landsteiner hemolytic anemia
- (C) Infectious mononucleosis
- (D) Hodgkin lymphoma
14 >>In CLL the autoimmune hemolytic anemia is due to: ?
- (A) Warm antibody
- (B) Cold antibody
- (C) Mixed cold and warm antibody
- (D) Occurs only with treatment with purine analogue
15 >>Which of the following is not true about autoimmune hemolytic anemia associated with ?-methyldopa? ?
- (A) Positive DCT is found in 8-36% of patients
- (B) Lag period of 3-6 months is present between the start of therapy and development of positive DCT
- (C) Less that 1% of patients develop hemolytic anemia
- (D) Hemolytic anemia is due to hapten mechanism
16 >>In CLL patients the risks factors for development of autoimmune hemolytic anemia after purine analogue treatment are all, except: ?
- (A) Previous exposure prior to Purine analogues
- (B) Positive DAT prior to therapy
- (C) Hypogammaglobulinemia
- (D) High B2 microglobulin
17 >>Which of the following is true about cold agglutinin disease? ?
- (A) Usually the antibodies are of IgM type
- (B) Occurs in infectious mononucleosis
- (C) In-vitro agglutination is maximum at 0-5°C
- (D) Infectious mononucleosis has cold agglutinin with anti-I, specificity
18 >>Which of the following is not true about AIHA? ?
- (A) It may be due to drugs
- (B) Associated with pernicious anemia
- (C) May complicate B-cell CLL
- (D) May be associated with IgM antibodies in serum
19 >>What is detected by indirect Coomb’s test? ?
- (A) Antibodies in serum
- (B) Antibodies on RBC surface
- (C) Antigens on RBC surface
- (D) Antibodies in plasma
Hematology Practice Quiz
20 >>Which of the following is not true about DCT – Negative AIHA? ?
- (A) Polyspecific AHG (anti human globulin) may not be able to detect this type of AIHA if the type of antibody is IgA or IgM
- (B) Low affinity IgG autoantibodies
- (C) Low titre IgG autoantibodies
- (D) Gel card is not able to detect rare IgA only AIHA